by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted May 7, 2007 in DNA Fun, DNA Products, DNA Testing
- Extract your own DNA.
All you need is 15 minutes, salt, liquid soap, water, rubbing alcohol, and some glass and plastic cups. More details from biology.about.com: How to Extract DNA From Human Cheek Cells.
Save it for future reference in case of missing persons, abduction, or identification in the event of a tragedy.
The City of San Bruno has step-by-step instructions for how to collect and save your children’s DNA in your own home (it would also be a good idea to do the same for other members of the family). A number of companies, such as DNA LifePrint, also sell DNA collection kits. And, companies like DNA Analysis have fee-for-service DNA storage.
- Preserve your DNA in jewelry form.
The Perpetua Life Jewel Pendant is composed of your DNA embedded in acrylic and can be made in a variety of colors. There’s also a Gold & Crystal Life Jewel Heart available. They market it for preserving “your animal companion’s DNA,” but nothing stops you from preserving DNA from yourself or your lover(s) and children.
- Convert your DNA into a DNA art print. I’ve already mentioned the brilliantly colorful DNA 11 DNA Portraits before but they’re worth mentioning again. Although, it might give this former lab jockey a few flashbacks.
Get your DNA tested.
Many many companies now offer DNA testing. Some are held to high standards while others are more suitable for recreational purposes. You can get your DNA tested for disease susceptibility genes, gene variants studied by people interested in nutritional genetics, ancestry, and genealogy.
Bonus idea: Send your DNA into the future by having children.
What other cool stuff have you done with your DNA?
This post was written as part of the ProBlogger Group Writing Project – Top 5.
Note: I have no financial affiliations with any of the companies named in this list.
Eye on DNA Headlines for 9 October 2007...
DNA Ranks Number One!...
Eye on DNA Links – May 10, 2007...
Eye on DNA Links – May 29, 2007...
Eye on DNA Links – June 5, 2007...
Genetics Sliced and Diced into Lists of Five...
What does DNA mean to you? #8...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- What does DNA mean to you?
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- The Science Creative Quarterly
- DNA Direct Talk
- Biopolitical Times
- Dr. Deborah Serani
- Alltop Science
- AIDS Combat Zone
- Mendel’s Garden