by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted May 22, 2007 in DNA Products, DNA in General
Google has invested $3.9 million in 23andMe along with Genentech and two venture capital firms, New Enterprise Associates and Mohr Davido Ventures. 23andMe is a personal genome company that wants to help consumers get in tune with their genes. Check out the blurb on the newly revamped front page:
Even though your body contains trillions of copies of your genome, you’ve likely never read any of it. Our goal is to connect you to the 23 paired volumes of your own genetic blueprint (plus your mitochondrial DNA), bringing you personal insight into ancestry, genealogy, and inherited traits. By connecting you to others, we can also help put your genome into the larger context of human commonality and diversity.
A Facebook-like service centered around our genomes? Could be. But it also promises to be much more, encompassing genealogy, personalized medicine, and gene-targeted drug therapy. Their potential comes down to the genetic data they already have and the data customers will be contributing.
Our goal is to allow individuals to gain deeper insights into their ancestry, genealogy and inherited traits and, ultimately, the option to work together to advance the overall understanding of the human genome.
I had the opportunity to meet with co-founders Linda Avey and and Anne last month. Although I still don’t know any juicy details about 23andMe, I’m holding them to the promise that they’ll give me something to share with all of you as soon as they’re ready. (By the way, I liked that Linda and Anne, along with board member Esther Dyson, all wore pink for the About Us page. I’m partial to pink myself.)
Related stories reporting on the investment:
- 23andMe Exits Stealth Mode
- New Enterprise Associates Joins Series A Investment in 23andMe
- A distracting development – and a biotech investment – from Google
- Google puts $3.9M in co-founder’s wife’s biotech startup
- Google’s (Newly) Related-Party Deal
- 23andMe and Google
- Google, Genentech fund personal-genetics startup 23andMe
- Googley bio
- Google Me This, Google Me That
- Google wants $4 billion drug ad market in 23andMe
Original source: Reuters, May 22, 2007
DNA Quote of the Day – Martin Varsavsky and 23andMe...
New 23andMe Headquarters...
23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999...
Quebec’s Genetic Map – CARTaGENE...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 20 September 2007...
DNA Video: 23andMe Genetics 101 Part 2...
DNA Video: 23andMe Genetics 101 Part 4...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- What does DNA mean to you?
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- Cancer Genetics
- Free Association
- Highlight HEALTH
- Tales of CFS
- Sciencebase Science Blog
- Science With Me!
- Flags and Lollipops