by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted May 29, 2007 in Personalities with DNA
Congratulations to Dr. James Watson, co-discoverer of the structure of DNA, whose genome sequence will be handed to him on a DVD this week. His genome was sequenced six times over for quality control and it cost 454 Life Sciences approximately
$2 $1 million dollars and a smidge less than two years compared to $4 billion dollars and 10 years for the Human Genome Project.
When “Project Jim” was announced in 2005, Dr. Watson said he didn’t not want to know what variant of the ApoE gene he had. Another leader in the intial sequencing of the human genome, Craig Venter, already knows that he has ApoE4, which is associated with Alzheimer’s disease.
As fascinated as I am by DNA, I don’t know if I’d ever want my entire genome sequenced. It’s not like knowing will keep me from getting hit by a bus tomorrow.
DNA Video: The Secret of Life...
Eye on DNA Links – June 12, 2007...
Celebrating Eye on DNA’s One-Month Anniversary...
People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced...
Beijing Genomics Institute Sequences Fourth Human Genome in the World...
Reconstructing the Prehistoric DNA of Neanderthals...
Whole Genome Sequencing For All...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- What does DNA mean to you?
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- Flu Patrol
- Baby Biotechs
- Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast
- John Hawks Anthropology Weblog
- Adventures in Ethics and Science
- Dream Mom