by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted May 31, 2007 in DNA Testing, DNA in General, Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
Is DNA safe to eat? You may not have thought about it before, but you actually eat plant and animal DNA every day (assuming you’re not vegetarian, of course). In fact, there’s a whole industry set-up around testing the DNA of our food source.
Earlier this month, Therion International helped identify fake red snapper being served at sushi restaurants in Chicago. DNA tests showed they were actually selling tilapia and red sea bream instead. Another such company, IdentiGEN, has developed DNA TraceBack – a technique which checks on the path a piece of meat has taken from the ranch to your mouth. IdentiGEN calls DNA “nature’s bar code.” DNA tests are also performed on food to make sure that it is not genetically modified.
Other foods that have been verified using DNA tests:
Vareties of potato
Durum wheat for pasta
Composition of fruit pastes and pulps
Purity of olive oil
Varieties of tea and coffee
And here’s a myth about genes and food addressed by Biotechnology Australia:
Myth: GM food means that weâ€™d be eating genes and itâ€™s not natural to eat another organismâ€™s genes.
Itâ€™s impossible to eat without eating genes.
Every organism contains genes. When we eat an apple, we eat the genes in the DNA contained within its cells. These genes in the apple are â€˜foreignâ€™ genes, but they donâ€™t have any effect on us because they are digested. The same goes for eating meat.
For more on the DNA testing of food, see this Food Manufacture article: The gene is out of the bottle.
DNA Quote: Stewart Brand on Genetically Modified Food...
Techno Tuesday Cartoon on Genetically Modified Food...
Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash...
Books About DNA: Tomorrow’s Table...
(Genetically Modified) Food for Health...
Could Altering DNA In Bacteria Pose A Terrorist Threat?...
Overweight Parents, Overweight Children...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- What does DNA mean to you?
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- The force that through…
- The Science Creative Quarterly
- Evolution…Not “Just a Theory” Anymore
- Adventures in Ethics and Science
- Enoch Choi at MedHelp
- John Hawks Anthropology Weblog
- Gene Expression