by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted June 13, 2007 in DNA Fun, DNA in General
1. DNA is versatile. How else can less than 25,000 genes dictate the creation of beings like you, me, and the cat next door?
3. DNA transcends boundaries. All species, all races, all ethnicities, all people have DNA.*
4. DNA is useful. Whether in medicine or crime, DNA can be used to solve problems in a variety of situations.
6. DNA tells a story. DNA tells us a lot about our past (as Genetic Genealogist Blaine would surely agree), our present, and our future. Our DNA is with us wherever we go; exposed, observing, remembering, and reacting.
7. DNA is my life. Sounds weird but it’s true.
What else do you love about DNA?
*An old post of mine:
We all have DNA. From prehistoric fossils (geobiology) to bacteria to plants to animals to humans, DNA is what ties us together as living beings. There is nothing else that we all share and the similarities in our DNA are often astounding.
Humans come in all shapes and sizes. Some have more money, more education, and more opportunities. Others have more love, more friends, and more happiness. The unfortunate have more grief, more violence, and more oppression. Life is different for everyone and is neither fair nor equal.
If genetics could explain everything, we might remember that underneath all of lifeâ€™s trappings, we are humans. Today I sit in an air conditioned apartment with my beloved husband and son. But it might just as easily be me wearing a burka living in extreme poverty in the deserts of Afghanistan.
Many things are beyond my control. Not being religious, Iâ€™m not sure what determined the kind of life I was born into and the paths that were open to me to get to where I am today. If I could see that just one base change in my DNA made all the difference, then I could just as easily understand that just one more mutation the other way could have taken me to another place all together. Not much separates us from each other.
I know there are plenty of eugenicists who would use genetic information for evil. But Iâ€™d like to think there are enough of us to slap them down. Why do we let the war mongering minority speak and act for the rest of us?
What Iâ€™m trying to say is that there has never been anything that united the people of this earth. Nothing except our DNA.
NB: I realize my argument is far from complete or thought out. This was written with only good intentions and believing that we are essentially good, not evil.
7 Things Meme inspired by Gill.
What’s in your DNA? #6...
What does DNA mean to you? #8...
What does DNA mean to you? #12...
Eye on DNA Links – May 10, 2007...
ScienceBlogs Biotech Blog...
What’s in your DNA? #28...
Taking My Eye Off DNA...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- What does DNA mean to you?
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- The Personal Genome
- Off The Road
- Epigenetics News
- Professor Olsen @Large
- Discovering Biology in a Digital World
- Adventures in Ethics and Science