by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted June 17, 2007 in DNA Testing
Laurita of St. Paul, Minn. wrote to Ask Harriette whether she should accept a girl into her family who claims to be her niece without DNA evidence.
Dear Harriette: What would your reaction be if you received an e-mail from a 32-year-old woman you’ve never heard of, claiming to be a child of your brother? My brother admitted to me he is not 100 percent sure the girl is his.
Everyone is down on me because I refuse to accept her without DNA proof.
Would you accept her on blind faith, or would you insist on DNA proof?
- Identigene has a multi-trait paternity calculator that takes into account information on ABO/RH blood type, eye color, and type of ear lobes.
- The blood type calculator can be used for determining both paternity and maternity. Say for example the mother’s blood type is O and the alleged daughter’s is B, the father can only have blood type B or AB for the daughter to be related to the father.
- Mothers who are not sure of which partner might have fathered the baby can use the conception calculator by plugging in the child’s date of birth.
Of course, blood type, eye color, and type of earlobes have greater variations in some populations than in others. Calculators like these won’t be as helpful in homogeneous populations such as China.
So my advice to Laurita would be to do some careful observations of physical traits and do her own calculations. And while I can sympathize with her desire to protect her brother from being hurt, I actually think it’s none of her business. Harriette Cole thinks Laurita should “calm down and observe” to see if this woman is trustworthy or not.
What would your advice to Laurita be?
DNA Paternity Testing Myths...
DNA Paternity Tests Available At Local Pharmacies...
DNA Paternity Testing in Ratatouille...
Google Answers DNA – Who’s yer daddy?...
Eye on DNA Links – June 19, 2007...
DNA Isn’t the Answer to Everything...
DNA Testing for U.S. Immigration...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- What does DNA mean to you?
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- The Seven Stones
- Discovering Biology in a Digital World
- Another Blasted Weblog
- Science With Me!
- DNA Direct Talk
- Off The Road
- Gene Sherpa