by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted June 23, 2007 in DNA Inventions and Gadgets, DNA Lab Talk, DNA Testing
A biotech company in Illinois is hoping they have the Midas touch. Nanosphere has created DNA probes made of gold nanoparticles. The Verigene System is meant to “make molecular diagnostic testing simple, accessible, and flexible, but still provide the high sensitivity, accuracy, and rapid multiplex target detection required by these applications.” The benchtop system is currently under FDA review and incoporates the Verigene Reader, Verigene Processor, and Verigene Test Cartridges. Each analysis costs about $30 and takes 90 minutes to complete compared with other commercial tests which run up to $500 and require several weeks from start to finish.
The analysis of DNA or RNA targets follows this procedure:
1. Genomic DNA is loaded into a single-use “Test Cartridge.” Sonication shears the genomic DNA into 300 to 500 base-pair fragments so that they’re small enough to be probed.
2. The genomic DNA fragments hybridize (stick) to capture probes that are attached to a solid support base. Then, gold nanoparticles with oligonucleotide probes attached are added.
3. The entire complex is washed and gold nanoparticle probes that did not find a complementary genomic DNA fragment are removed.
4. Elemental silver is deposited onto the gold nanoparticle probes which hybridized to a complementary DNA fragment. This amplifies the signal.
A video is also available for viewing.
According to Nanosphere CEO Bill Moffitt, approximately 35 million tests can be performed using the same amount of gold as the average wedding band. Nanosphere technology can be used in genetic diagnostics, pharmacogenetics, infectious diseases, and oncology.
Eye on DNA Headlines for 24 September 2007...
Where’s Dr. Francis Collins of the National Human Genome Research Institute?...
More on Dr. J. Craig Venter’s Fabulous Genome...
DNA Video: History of the Species...
HPV DNA Test for Cervical Cancer...
Curious Genetics and DNA Google Ads...
DNA Paternity Testing Myths...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- What does DNA mean to you?
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- Christina Loves
- Pharma Gazette
- Dr. Deborah Serani
- Cancer Genetics
- Epigenetics News