by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted June 25, 2007 in DNA Around the World, DNA Testing, DNA and Genealogy
What do I know about DNA testing in the Czech Republic? Virtually nothing except for what I dug up last week on Genomac and Forensic DNA Service. Ludvik Urban has first hand knowledge and set me straight over at RootsWeb.
Dr. Lei a <irony>”little bit”</irony> warps the facts.
1. “ancestry tests costing about $55.80″
Test by Genomac costs 2x more [2500 CZK].
I got the figure from the Prague Post article I quoted.
2. “Genomac is not much different than DNA testing companies in other countries.”
Maybe yes, maybe not. But in the Czech Republic, it is prohibited by law to keep DNA samples of individual persons. Genomac does keep samples without government permission.
3. “Any commericial database of DNA profiles must be registered.”
The Genomac’s database is not registerd.
4. Genomac as a result of its genographic test sells a map downloaded from YHDR database with erased copyright and without YHDR permission.
I bought Y-DNA test at Genomac for me and also from some of my relatives last year. As a admin of Genebaze, a genealogy website, and in the name of genealogy community I offered to Genomac acooperation, especially in a search for common ancestors. It refused. By the same time [last September] Genomac decided to sell ONLY YHDR maps, NOT markers values! After my query it started to sell marker values for aditional raised price.
I hope Genomac will soon fulfill the law and open its database. It promises that search the its database will find one’s ancestors and relatives.
What makes me sad is the fact that Genomac still refuses to prepare testfor more than 12 markers [<cite>"12 is enough, whe YHDR as a reference hasless markers"</cite>] and also refuses to store data about most distant ancestors.It refuses to evaluate obtained haplotypes by any haplogroup predictions. Instead of it, it produces a “certificate of origin” with these results:
“west-slavic”, “romanic”, “south-slavic”, “scandinavian-german”,
“mediterran-balkanic-north african”, “mediterran-near east-asian”,
“baltic-scandinavian-siberian” and “mediterran-kaukasic”.
Dont laugh, it’s true!
As a result of its very efficient marketing, people refuse to make test for more than 12 markers “because they have from Genomac all data”.
Thanks for letting us know more about the DNA testing scene in the Czech Republic, Ludvik! I will try to contact Dr. Marek Minarik to get his side of the story.
DNA Testing in the Czech Republic...
Dr. Marek Minarik of Genomac on Genealogy DNA Testing in the Czech Republic...
DNA Direct Introduces Ancestry & Ethnicity and Paternity Testing...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 15 February 2008...
DNA Video: The Truth About DNA on NBC Nightly News...
DNA-Supported Ancestral Tourism...
Types of Genetic Tests...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- What does DNA mean to you?
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- Unbounded Medicine
- Evolution Minute
- Twisted Bacteria
- Women in Science
- Tangled Bank
- The Tree of Life
- Mendel’s Garden
- The Issue