by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted July 3, 2007 in DNA in General
It’s the classic chicken and egg debate. Parents may be more likely to divorce if they are depressed and children of these parents may have inherited the genes that increase their risk of depression. So how much impact does the actual divorce have on a child’s chances of developing depression?
Dr. Brian M. Dâ€™Onofrio and colleagues published a twin study in the latest issue of Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry showing that:
- The children of divorced fraternal twins (who share 50% of their genes) were more likely to be depressed or to have problems with anxiety than their cousins whose parents stayed married.
- The children of divorced identical twins (who share 100% of their genes) had the same levels of depression regardless of their parents’ marital status.
Dr. D’Onofrio said:
This study suggests that the increased risk of emotional problems in the offspring of divorced parents is due to genetic risk shared by parents and their offspring. This is contrary to what a lot of people have assumed in sociology and psychology.
Dr. D’Onofrio specializes in genetically informed research which examines how genes might play a role in what seems to be a clear relationship between cause and effect. For example:
- Motherâ€™s smoking/nicotine and childrenâ€™s risk of behavioral problems – Genes may predispose moms to smoke and the same genes may be inherited by children which lead to lower intelligence, impulsivity, and aggression.
- Teen motherhood and risk of dropping out of school and poverty – Genes may predispose girls to low IQ, conduct problems, and antisocial behaviors that lead to teen pregnancy.
- Close work and myopia – Genes play a role in nearsightedness and a person who is predisposed will need to bring objects closer to see them clearly.
Looking at through the lens of the genetically informed approach, it’s possible to hypothesize genetic influences on many associations. What other examples can you think of?
Google Answers DNA – Chromosomes, Genes, and DNA...
DNA Excerpt: Reading in Our Genes...
Use of “DNA” and “Genes” by Years, Continents, and Celebrities...
Geeky DNA T-Shirts: Golf Clubs...
DNA Quote: Gwyneth Paltrow on “Evil Genes”...
DNA Quote of the Day – People with Disabilities...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- What does DNA mean to you?
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- Adult ADD Strengths
- The Antidote
- The Tree of Life
- Genome Technology Online
- The force that through…
- The Biotech Weblog
- Pharma Gazette