by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted July 11, 2007 in DNA Podcasts and Videos, DNA and the Law, Polls About DNA
Yesterday, the Genetics & Public Policy Center at Johns Hopkins hosted GenePOPS — Who Owns Your Genes? Intellectual Property and the Human Genome. Panel members included:
- Barbara Caulfield, executive vice president & general counsel for Affymetrix, Inc.
- Robert Cook-Deegan, director, Center for Genome Ethics, Law & Policy, Institute for Genome Sciences & Policy, Duke University
- Steve Haro, senior advisor & communications director, Office of U.S. Representative Xavier Becerra
- F. Scott Kieff, associate professor of law at Washington University, St. Louis, and fellow at the Hoover Institute, Stanford University
Slides from Robert Cook-Deegan and F. Scott Kieff’s presentations are available and ScienceDaily has coverage of the event. I was not aware that in February 2007, the Genomic Research and Accessibility Act was introduced which would prohibit the patenting of human genetic material.
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no patent may be obtained for a nucleotide sequence, or its functions or correlations, or the naturally occurring products it specifies.
Also in February, Michael Crichton’s latest novel, Next, was published and it got special mention at the GenePOPS seminar. In addition, Crichton published an opinion piece on gene patents: Who owns your genes?
Five main recommendations were given at the end of Next:
1. Stop patenting genes.
2. Establish clear guidelines for the use of human tissues.
3. Pass laws to ensure that data about gene testing is made public. Heâ€™s referring to results of gene therapy trials.
4. Avoid bans on research.
5. Rescind the Bayh-Dole Act (that allows universities to patent and make money off their research).
Also don’t miss the NEXTgencode YouTube videos created just for the launch of Next.
Gene Patents and Genetic Testing...
Storing and Testing Children’s DNA...
National DNA Day 2007...
New Line Genetics and SellMyDNA.com Offer $5,000 for Your DNA...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 28 August 2007 and a Poll on DNA Storage...
Living on Earth Looks Back at Gene Patents...
Craig Venter on the Sinfest Forum...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- What does DNA mean to you?
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- Microarray Blog
- Another Blasted Weblog
- John Hawks Anthropology Weblog
- Suracell Inc. Blog
- Genome Technology Online
- The Biotech Weblog
- Sciencebase Science Blog
- Skinny Moose Media