by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted July 16, 2007 in DNA Podcasts and Videos, Personalities with DNA
What pops into your head when you think of J. Craig Venter? Did you know he is one of the best known scientists and frontmen of the genome revolution? Unfortunately, he’s experiencing a bit of bad press lately.
In the latest issue of Forbes, Matthew Herper focuses on Venter for Hype in The Genes, saying Venter aims “impossibly high” and calling him the “Bono of genetics.” Venter is also said to “warp the reality field around genetic research through sheer force of ego and showmanship.” Herper goes on to detail the very many relationships that have soured for Venter, including his own marriage to Claire Fraser-Leggitt. Basically, everybody hates him.
Have you ever met J. Craig Venter or seen him in person? What’s he like?
More about J. Craig Venter:
A profile of Svante Paabo by J. Craig Venter written for The Time 100 Scientists & Thinkers.
A profile of Venter himself by Jean-Michel Cousteau for the same Time 100 special feature.
More about Craig Venter in The Genome War by James Shreeve.
Craig Venter’s memoirs–A Life Decoded: My Genome: My Life–will be released in October.
Craig Venter’s answer to The Edge World Question Center’s question of the year in 2006 – What is your dangerous idea?:
“Revealing the genetic basis of personality and behavior will create societal conflicts.”
A video of Craig Venter on The Colbert Show.
More on Dr. J. Craig Venter’s Fabulous Genome...
The Genographic Project’s Dr. Spencer Wells on Colbert Report...
The Rough Guide to Genes & Cloning...
Craig Venter on the Sinfest Forum...
Geeky DNA T-Shirt: Christmas Star DNA...
DNA Video: Craig Venter on the Charlie Rose Show...
DNA Video: Craig Venter at Google...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- What does DNA mean to you?
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- The Panda’s Thumb
- Elefante Jirafa
- The Minnesota Gene Pool
- Let’s Get Personal
- Discovering Biology in a Digital World
- Tales of CFS
- Off The Road
- Professor Olsen @Large
- Herpes Blog
- John Hawks Anthropology Weblog