by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted July 29, 2007 in DNA and the Law, DNA in General, Eye on DNA Headlines
New Scientist looks at elite athletes and their genes this week. They’ve listed five genes–ACTN3, ACE, PPAR-delta, CKMM, and myostatin–that will help the budding sprinter, mountaineer, marathon runner, cyclist, and weightlifter excel. Click the image on the right to see more details.
Martin Heidgen of New York stands accused of trying to fake a DNA test by passing off someone else’s saliva as his own. The DNA sample had both his genetic profile as well as his jail cell mate’s. Heidgen is charged with murder for his involvement in a drunk driving incident that led to the death of two people and an additional five injuries.
- Physicist Paul Callaghan, recent recipient of the Blake Medal, shares his top picks for key scientific concepts that everyone should understand. Among them, he lists evolution and DNA.
“The fundamental question for all of us is why are we here. How did humans come to be? So it’s important to have an understanding of the fundamental engine of life, which is DNA: how it expresses itself through proteins, how that leads to disease when proteins don’t fold properly.”
- Patt Morrison reviews Kristen Gore’s novel, Sammy’s House and goes full on with the genetics analogies.
“I, for one, am mighty relieved to find out that humor genes did not completely bypass the Al Gore family. Recessive though they may be, they shine forth in the DNA of the Gores’ middle daughter, Kristin, who made her funny bones as an editor of the Harvard Lampoon and a writer on “Saturday Night Live,” where her work included a sly, deadpan “presidential” speech delivered by her father.”
Eye on DNA July Winner and August Contest...
Eye on DNA Links for 24 July 2007...
July Contest and Eye on DNA Links for 2 July 2007...
Eye on DNA Links for 22 July 2007...
Eye on DNA Links – 1 July 2007...
Eye on DNA Links – May 10, 2007...
Ads at Eye on DNA...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- What does DNA mean to you?
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary
- Sciencebase Science Blog
- Infrared Sauna Info
- Mary Meets Dolly
- John Hawks Anthropology Weblog
- Skinny Moose Media
- Women in Science
- Adventures in Ethics and Science
- The Antidote
- Omics! Omics!