by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted August 1, 2007 in Eye on DNA Headlines
- Tangled Bank 85 – The Reductionist’s Tale is up at Migrations. You have to go check out Dan’s Digesting Duck.
- Jonathan Eisen at The Tree of Life does some genetics research at Amazon.com (of all places!) and finds that people preferring books by J. Craig Venter are not like the people who prefer books by Francis Collins.
- MedGadget.nl listed Eye on DNA at #11 on a ranking of medblogs. It’s always nice to feel included.
- Isabella kindly included Eye on DNA in Carnival of Eating Disorders #18 at Change Therapy.
- Matt at Behavioral Ecology Blog elaborates on the military’s attempts to use mtDNA for identifying the remains of servicemen kill in the line of duty.
- DNA tests have confirmed the identity of a toddler who died in the sinking of the Titanic in 1912 as 19-month-old Sidney Leslie Goodwin. His remains were misidentified five years ago.
- The National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI) is funding projects that develop technologies to decrease the time and cost needed to sequence DNA.
NHGRIâ€™s near-term goal is to lower the cost of sequencing a mammalian-sized genome to $100,000, allowing researchers to sequence the genomes of hundreds or even thousands of people as part of studies to identify genes that contribute to common, complex diseases. Ultimately, NHGRIâ€™s vision is to cut the cost of whole-genome sequencing to $1,000 or less, which will enable the sequencing of individual genomes as part of routine medical care. The ability to sequence an individual genome cost-effectively could enable health care professionals to tailor diagnosis, treatment and prevention to each personâ€™s unique genetic profile.
A list of the “$1,000 Genome” and “$100,000 Genome” grant recipients is available in this press release .
Eye on DNA July Winner and August Contest...
Eye on DNA August Winner and September Contest...
Eye on DNA Links – May 10, 2007...
Eye on DNA Links Round 3...
DNA Quote: Former Surgeon General Dr. Richard H. Carmona...
Eye on DNA Links – May 12, 2007...
Eye on DNA Links – May 16, 2007...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- What does DNA mean to you?
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- Autism Vox
- Enoch Choi at MedHelp
- The Daily Transcript
- Highlight HEALTH
- Biochemist in Exile