by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted August 12, 2007 in Eye on DNA Headlines
Request for Feedback: Do you like these headline round-ups in one post like this? Or would you prefer that each “headline” be an individual post on its own?
- Blaine at The Genetic Genealogist hosts Gene Genie #13: Into The Future.
- Dr. Paul Decelles pens a beautiful poem about the flower Datura and ties it into genetics.
- DNA tests have been used to identify cows that make A2 milk, which is supposedly healthier, safer, and easier to digest. An established product in Australia and New Zealand, about 100 stores in the American Midwest are selling the milk now. Has anyone tried A2 milk?
- New Scientist reports on simulations showing electrically charged dust that form DNA-like double helixes. They act like reproducing living organisms which can store information within the structure and copy itself. Scientists hypothesize that DNA dust helices could be a form of primitive life found in planetary rings containing fine ice grains. Reminds me of the extraterrestrial DNA stories that circulate once in a while.
- Last month, Katherine Bourzac of Technology Review wrote about mapping complex diseases. Researchers calculated the overlap between 161 different diseases and found that schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and autism may be attributable to one set of common genes.
- Mark Henderson of The Times (UK) looks at the intersection between nature and nurture (curiously assigned to the women’s section of the website) as it relates to popular news item of the week – Friendship May Lie in the Genes.
Matt Ridley writes in The Agile Gene:
If personality is created by parents, peers, or society at large, then it is still determined; it is not free.
In some ways the news that our genes are important contributors to our personality should be reassuring: the imperviousness of individual human nature to outside influences provides a bulwark against brainwashing. At least we are determined by our own intrinsic forces rather than somebody else’s.
Eye on DNA July Winner and August Contest...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 18 August 2007...
Eye on DNA August Winner and September Contest...
DNA Quote: Former Surgeon General Dr. Richard H. Carmona...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 26 August 2007...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 5 September 2007...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 9 August 2007...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- What does DNA mean to you?
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- Dr. Deborah Serani
- Dream Mom
- Cancer Genetics
- OMMBID Blog
- Effect Measure
- Twisted Bacteria
- The Personal Genome