by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted August 29, 2007 in DNA Testing
In 2005, the Early Baby Gender Mentor DNA test was launched. Since then, test maker Acu-Gen has been sued in a Class Action lawsuit claiming “misrepresentations, fraud, and/or other improper business practices.” Following on the heels of the Early Baby Gender Mentor, the Pink or Blue test uses the same technque to test for fetal DNA in maternal blood, analyzed from a dried blood spot, to see if there’s any from the Y chromosome – the presence of the Y chromosome means boy, none means girl. The test can be used as early as six weeks with a purported accuracy of greater than 98%.
Aside from issues of accuracy, tests such as these are also raising concerns that parents may use them for gender selection aka family balancing. From Elisa Hatigan of Subversive Writer on “gender disappointment”:
In North America, Gender Disappointment has less to do with family/cultural traditions and expectations and more to do with personal fears and fantasies, but nonetheless can be very traumatic for a woman. Some women simply cannot cope with the thought of taking care of a particular gender. They might have been abused by men as children, or had traumatic relationships with their fathers or men in general, and sometimes they will try to miscarry or contemplate suicide than give birth to a baby of the â€œenemyâ€ gender.
I asked myself what I would do. …Would I use genetic testing to find out early? Yes, definitely.
Have you or has someone you know taken an early gender DNA test? Karen Kaplan, a reporter at the Los Angeles Times, wants to hear your stories. Please leave a comment here or email her directly at Karen.Kaplan@latimes.com.
Update: Terry Carmichael, VP at Consumer Genetics, manufacturer of the Pink or Blue early baby gender DNA test answers my questions in this interview for Eye on DNA.
Australia May Ban Gender Prediction DNA Test...
Eye on DNA Interview: Terry Carmichael, VP of Marketing & Sales at Consumer Genetics...
Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question…Or Not...
DNA Excerpt: Bringing Home the Birkin...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 12 October 2007...
The Genetics of Sexual Development...
Opaldia to Offer Diagenic Breast Cancer Genetic Test...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- What does DNA mean to you?
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- Anxiety, Addiction and Depression Treatments
- The Science Creative Quarterly
- Adventures in Ethics and Science
- Behavioral Ecology Blog
- Science With Me!
- The Genetic Genealogist
- Professor Olsen @Large