by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted September 12, 2007 in DNA and the Law, Eye on DNA Headlines
- Matt at Behavioral Ecology Blog hosts Tangled Bank #88.
- Telegraph has a chilling Q&A on DNA evidence in the Madeleine McCann case. Madeleine was reportedly abducted in May 2007 while she and her family were vacationing in Portugal. Her parents, Kate and Gerry McCann, were named suspects last Friday. Detectives believe they have enough evidence to charge them with accidentally killing Madeleine. The McCanns say they’re being framed.
- Australian police in Victoria added their DNA files to the national database yesterday. More than 2,000 matches to unsolved violent crime were found almost immediately; these matches between the suspects’ DNA and DNA found at crime scenes were flagged if the DNA shared 12 or more DNA markers. Further investigations will be pursued for matches at 16 or more markers. The Australia national DNA database currently has over 350,000 DNA samples. (For the purposes of comparison, California has entered 295,000 DNA samples into its database since July which cleared a backlog of almost 400,000.)
- Vitamin C may not prevent cancer by reducing DNA damage as previously thought. Instead, vitamin C and other antioxidants may work by removing the free radicals needed by a protein called hypoxia-induced factor (HIF-1) that helps cancer cells survive with limited oxygen.
Researcher Ping Gao at Johns Hopkins:
If DNA damage was not in play as a cause of the cancer, then whatever the antioxidants were doing to help was also not related to DNA damage.
- Thank you to JJ Yong for adding Eye on DNA to the DNAmazing.com blogroll.
- The UK National Center for Biotechnology Education has the best collection of DNA ephemera I’ve ever seen (aside from Eye on DNA, of course.)
- Do you have a Facebook? Join The DNA Network’s Facebook group!
Eye on DNA September Winner and October Contest...
Eye on DNA August Winner and September Contest...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 10 September 2007...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 5 October 2007...
DNA Shopping: K’Nex Education DNA, Replication, and Transcription...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 5 September 2007...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 14 September 2007...
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- What does DNA mean to you?
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- Genomics Revolution
- The Antidote
- Biotech Blog
- Genes & Drugs Blog
- Nurse Practitioner News
- Unbounded Medicine
- The Biotech Weblog
- Biochemist in Exile
- Ideas for Women