by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted September 20, 2007 in DNA @ Google Answers, DNA and the Law
If someone donates blood, and that blood is transfused into someone who later commits a crime that leaves blood evidence at the scene, will the DNA of the donor be at the crime scene or only the DNA of the
person who committed the crime?
In 2005, something very similar happened. A man who donated bone marrow to his brother several years earlier was accused of committing a sex attack in Alaska when blood tests matched his DNA profile to the crime. But, it really wasn’t him! It was his brother who committed the crime.
The mix-up resulted because his brotherâ€™s blood had some cells that contained the brotherâ€™s DNA and other cells that contained his own. Investigators were quick to catch the mistake, however, when they found that the accused was in jail at the time of the attack. Experts emphasized that the chances of this happening to other bone marrow donors were slim to none.
It is possible, but unlikely. It will partly depend on the type of transfusion received. If a person has received only red blood cells (which do not contain DNA), there will be no confusion. If the person has received white blood cells or platelets (both of which contain DNA), there could be a mixture of recipient DNA and donor DNA in the sample. Upon analysis, both DNA profiles would be identified. They will not “mix” to create one, new profile.
Keep in mind that the human body will replace all transfused blood cells within three or four weeks. If the transfusion was minor, the recipient’s original DNA profile would be clearly prominent. If the transfusion was major, the recipient will probably be too ill to commit a serious crime before their body has replaced most of the donor cells.
In those rare cases where two DNA profiles are discovered in a sample, it is always noted and the analysis double checked. Investigators are also notified for further follow up as required.
So if you’re thinking of committing a crime and are prepping by doing the vampire thing beforehand, it won’t work.
Google Answers DNA: Having Children...
Google Answers DNA – Chromosomes, Genes, and DNA...
Google Answers DNA – Who’s yer daddy?...
Google Answers DNA – Significance of the Double Helix...
DNA Ranks Number One!...
Google Gulp Takes a Picture of Your Genetic Profile...
DNA Video: Dr. James Watson at Google...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- What does DNA mean to you?
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- Evolution Minute
- The Tree of Life
- Baby Biotechs
- Suracell Inc. Blog
- Health News Blog
- Tangled Bank
- Anxiety, Addiction and Depression Treatments
- The Seven Stones