by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted September 24, 2007 in DNA in General
Colin Nickerson looks at DNA unraveled, which is a sweeping overview of the current state of genetics.
But the picture now emerging is more complicated, one in which illness, health, and evolutionary change appear to be the work of almost fantastical coordination between genes and swaths of DNA previously written off as junk.
And yet, employers and insurers are not the only companies interested in genetics. The nascent industry of genetic diagnostics – in which companies offer at-home kits allowing customers to send off DNA samples for analysis – might not be restricted by [Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act] (GINA) or other laws.
In those cases, customers would need to read the fine print to make sure their DNA would not be sold to, say, pharmaceutical companies.
Carey Goldberg shares her perspective Of genes and motherhood.
Even when we each start carrying around our personal genome disks in our pockets, our data will differ from our children’s in thousands of ways. And even where our genes look identical to theirs, our bodies and minds could well differ, influenced by many other factors, including the portions of our DNA that don’t code for genes, our environment, and our behavior.
Andrew Rimas features Dr. Levi Garraway who trolls the genome for cancer clues.
“The big premise that underlies our work is that cancer is a disease of the genome,” says Garraway, 39. “What goes wrong in a cancer cell? The genome is deranged, the DNA is mutated. But embedded within those chaotic changes are answers.”
Image: DNA bases represented by lit letters from Wellcome Images under Creative Commons.
DNA Quote of the Day – Martin Varsavsky and 23andMe...
DNA Video: 23andMe Genetics 101 Part 1...
DNA Video: 23andMe Genetics 101 Part 2...
Get Your Personal Genome Decoded Here...
DNA Video: 23andMe Genetics 101 Part 4...
DNA Quote: Molecular Exhibitionists...
Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas...
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- What does DNA mean to you?
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- Genomics Policy
- Biopolitical Times
- Nurse Practitioner News
- Microarray Blog
- Pharma Gazette
- The Personal Genome
- Cancer Genetics