by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted September 27, 2007 in DNA Inventions and Gadgets, Eye on DNA Headlines
- The Liz Lerman Dance Exchange Ferocious Beauty: Genome is running at the Premiere Dance Theatre in Toronto, Canada from September 27-29. From National Post:
As she pondered the implications of the unraveling of the human genome, Lerman realized what a different future her daughter would be facing, a future potentially fraught with issues and difficult choices she herself had never had to confront.
Read more about this performance in my previous post – Dancing to the Genome.
- The drug companies listened to me after all.* The International Serious Adverse Events Consortium, made-up of seven pharmaceutical companies and academic institutions, has launched two studies to examine genetic markers which indicate a person’s risk of drug-related side effects. Members of the Consortium will combine their data, including DNA, to study serious adverse events (SAEs). Information from the SNP Consortium and Hap Map Project will also be utilized. (Press release)
- Next month, Australian physicians will be handed a copy of Genetics in Family Medicine: The Australian Handbook for General Practitioners produced by the Genetics Education in Medicine Consortium. The handbook will also be available online at http://www.gpgenetics.edu.au (site still under construction at the time of writing).
- The San Diego Union Tribune interviews Dr. James Watson. FYI, don’t ask to photograph Dr. Watson. He doesn’t like it!
- Point-of-care DNA testing is coming closer to reality. NEC has developed DNA testing equipment the size of a briefcase that they say can analyze crime scene DNA in 25 minutes. NEC claims that it’s the world’s first portable all-in-one DNA analysis system that goes from extraction to analysis. Earlier this week, scientists in Singapore unveiled a prototype chip that can do something similar; the handheld device can detect viral DNA from throat swabs. (HT: Gizmodo)
*I’m just joking. I don’t believe for a second anybody listens to me. Not even my five-year-old.
Eye on DNA September Winner and October Contest...
Eye on DNA August Winner and September Contest...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 10 September 2007...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 5 October 2007...
DNA Shopping: K’Nex Education DNA, Replication, and Transcription...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 5 September 2007...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 14 September 2007...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- What does DNA mean to you?
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- Professor Olsen @Large
- Alltop Science
- Mark’s Daily Apple
- The Seven Stones
- Biotech Blog
- Biopolitical Times
- Health News Blog
- Infrared Sauna Info