by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted October 8, 2007 in DNA and Genealogy
I was poking around Google Trends this morning and noticed that the search for [family tree dna] had a Hotness rating of “Mild” and was ranked at about 45 or so for a few hours until it dropped off the top 100 list altogether. The search peaked about 15 hours ago and I was scratching my head wondering why especially since “family tree dna” is also the name of an ancestry and genealogy DNA testing company – Family Tree DNA .
I was only able to put it together when I saw that the search peak corresponded to the time CBS made available online the segment Reconstructing The Family Tree (video also at this link) on 60 Minutes in which Family Tree DNA was prominently featured.
As correspondent Lesley Stahl explains, it turns out that inside each one of us, within every cell of our bodies, is information about who our ancestors were, where they lived, and who we’re related to today. Our DNA contains hidden stories about our pasts, and scientists, together with businessmen, are now offering ways to help us read them.
The show featured two “long lost” cousins; one a white cattle rancher in Missouri and the other an African American in Harlem.
“How did you feel about the prospect of having black relatives?” Stahl asks.
“Well, you know, I really, to tell you the truth, it’s just life. I didn’t doubt it a bit,” he [Marion West] says.
Blaine at The Genetic Genealogist has a round-up of other reactions to this piece including one from renowned genetic genealogist Megan Smoleynak.
NB: Don’t miss Gene Genie #17 at Gene Sherpas!
Eye on DNA Headlines for 26 December 2007...
DNA Direct Introduces Ancestry & Ethnicity and Paternity Testing...
DNA Video: The Truth About DNA on NBC Nightly News...
DNA Video: Putting the Genes in Genealogy with Dick Eastman...
Types of Genetic Tests...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 9 October 2007...
DNA Video: DNA and Your Roots by Gina Paige...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- What does DNA mean to you?
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- Herpes Blog
- Genomics Policy
- The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary
- The Inoculated Mind
- John Hawks Anthropology Weblog