by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted October 30, 2007 in DNA Podcasts and Videos
Update: Sorry to those who came looking for this post earlier. The hard disk of the machine handling the MySQL databases failed and the last back-up did not include this post. Thank goodness I had a back-up of my own! Also a big thank you to Kenny who emailed to let me know the post went missing.
Here are five reasons (among many) why I’ll never be able to write a book about genetics and DNA:
- I do not have a soul twisted enough to spin a fanciful yarn nor twisted enough to endure the agony of writing a book.
- I don’t have have any sordid tales of family and friends to draw upon.
- I don’t like to offend people, living or dead.
- I’m not sure if I could beg anyone as cool as Dr. Helen to write a blurb for my book.
- I’m clueless about writing a book. (Ahh, this may be the crux of the problem.)
So what am I yammering on about? A while ago, someone asked if I had any book ideas. The simple answer was, “No, I ain’t got time for that.” The more prideful answer was “No. Well maybe. Erm. Should I?” Anyhow, according to writer and literary agent Peter Tallack,
Well, that settled it!
From Publishers Weekly:
Borne out of a quest to understand her sister Carolyn’s lifelong sinister behavior (which, systems engineer Oakley suggests, may have been compounded by childhood polio), the author sets out on an exploration of evil, or Machiavellian, individuals. Drawing on the advances in brain imaging that have illuminated the relationship of emotions, genetics and the brain (with accompanying imaging scans), Oakley collects detailed case histories of famed evil geniuses such as Slobodan Milosevic and Mao Zedong, interspersed with a memoir of Carolyn’s life. Oakley posits that they all had borderline personality disorder or antisocial personality disorder, a claim she supports with evidence from scientists’ genetic and neurological research.
Here’s an interview with Dr. Oakley from Point of Inquiry with DJ Grothe. She starts with why she revealed the story of her sister’s cruel behavior and the impact of such behavior on people’s day-to-day lives. Later she talks about the dual influences of genetics and parenting on behavior. Dr. Oakley says good parenting can only go so far in dealing with amoral or psychopathic behavior.
I haven’t read the book yet but if you’re interested in a discussion of Evil Genes, visit the Center for Inquiry discussion forum.
Geneticist Barbara McClintock in The Daring Book for Girls...
DNA Quote: Dame Barbara Ward...
DNA Quote of the Day: Dr. Philip Zimbardo...
National DNA Day 2007...
Genetics on Google Book Search...
DNA Quote: Gwyneth Paltrow on “Evil Genes”...
What’s in your DNA? #17...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- What does DNA mean to you?
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- The Daily Transcript
- AIDS Combat Zone
- Anxiety, Addiction and Depression Treatments
- Adventures in Ethics and Science
- Unbounded Medicine
- The Loom
- The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary