by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted November 27, 2007 in DNA Testing, DNA and the Law, Eye on DNA Headlines
- Serial killer Allan Legere, who committed his crimes in 1989, was the first to be convicted in Canada using DNA typing. Now Science East wants to convert his jail cell into an exhibit on DNA, science, and law. Heck if you can drag me into jail just see this despite my devotion to DNA arcana.
- Despite the brouhaha over new next-gen personal genomics services, it bears repeating that we are more than our DNA. The Toronto Star gets into epigenetics today.
Epigenetic processes are a normal and necessary part of life. Much like a software program that tells a computer how to work, epigenetic processes tell our DNA when, where and how to express each of the body’s 25,000 genes. But if they go wrong or work ineffectively, there can be major health consequences. And scientists now believe that epigenetic changes are the root cause of many complex, chronic diseases, including cancer, neurological disorders and type 2 diabetes.
- Cramming for a test or just want a quickie genetics reference? Seed Magazine has a genetics cribsheet that may help.
- As Steve Mount and Blaine Bettinger have pointed out, this week’s genetics flavor is DNA testing for ancestry and ethnicity. Edward Ball’s new book, The Genetic Strand, makes it all even more fascinating. See Susan Okie’s Washington Post review.
- Yesterday, the Sorenson Identigene DNA paternity test hit the shelves of Rite Aid and other pharmacies. If you’re interested in family relationship testing, check out this Home Maternity DNA Testing Kit from Amazon.com. There’s “1 used & new available from $199.00.” Why not be the first customer to review it?
Eye on DNA Headlines for 18 August 2007...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 8 November 2007...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 1 November 2007...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 13 November 2007...
DNA on Auction: DNA Wall Clock...
DNA Auction: Mr. DNA from Jurassic Park...
DNA Video: Craig Venter at Google...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- What does DNA mean to you?
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- Flu Patrol
- Dream Mom
- Omics! Omics!
- Evolution Minute
- AIDS Combat Zone
- The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary