by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted December 18, 2007 in DNA Testing, DNA and Disease
UK genetic testing company Opaldia will be offering the Diagenic breast cancer blood test starting in 2008. The test detects gene expression patterns in peripheral (circulating) blood and is touted as being able to diagnose asymptomatic breast cancer before it can be detected by manual breast exam or mammograms. In 2005, Diagenic company researchers published an article in Breast Cancer Research detailing 37 predictive genes for breast cancer (pdf).
Dr. James Mackay, Opaldia Medical Director:
I think it is really important to investigate better ways of detecting early breast cancer in young women.
All health professionals who work with breast cancer are concerned that mammograms may be sub optimal in young women under 47. Therefore a new test used alongside mammography would provide the optimal chance of detecting the cancer as early as possible.
Analyzing gene expression signatures from peripheral blood is based on the following principles (adapted from the Diagenic website):
The body responds to disease in a way that can be detected by measuring the amount of mRNA transcribed from a specific set of genes associated with disease
These gene expression patterns can be analyzed using whole genome microarrays
Gene expression signatures can be used to diagnose disease
Diagenic also offers a similar test for Alzheimer’s Disease.
NB: Opaldia CEO Elaine Warburton blogs about their partnership with Diagenic at Genetics and Health.
Highlights from the MedHelp Genetics Forum: BRCA Genetic Testing...
BRCA Genetic Testing for Women Without a Family History of Breast Cancer...
What happens after a positive breast and ovarian cancer (BRCA) genetic test?...
Commercials for Myriad BRACAnalysis Genetic Test Under Scrutiny...
Perceptions of Genetic Testing...
Bioethicist Arthur Caplan Says Corporate Greed Drives Genetic Testing Marketplace...
Say What? Genetic Confusion...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- What does DNA mean to you?
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- The Personal Genome
- Genomics Revolution
- Sciencebase Science Blog
- Cancer Genetics
- Adult ADD Strengths
- HUGO Matters
- Scared to Health
- Evolution…Not “Just a Theory” Anymore