by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted December 20, 2007 in Eye on DNA Headlines
- Londonist has a yuletide touch-up photo that is proof we should be wary of genetic modification. YIKES!
- Gene Genie #22 is up at Sandwalk.
- A boy undergoing gene therapy for X-SCID has developed leukemia in London. He is the first among ten children treated at Great Ormond Street who has developed cancer although in 2002, four of eleven children in France undergoing the same treatment also developed leukemia.
- The December 8th Dilbert comic strip featured this line:
Carol used his DNA container for a snack jar, so be careful.
- Alan Boyle of Cosmic Log interviews Dr. J. Craig Venter. I found this bit the most interesting:
Is there such a thing as too much information? Are there some people who donâ€™t want to know whatâ€™s in their genes?
In my experience, there are two groups of people: those who really want to know, and those who are afraid to know. I haven’t heard of any people who want to go halfway and see just some of their genes. Some of the same people who are afraid to know are also afraid to go to the doctor’s office, because they might get bad news by being diagnosed with a disease. But one of the major things that I’m trying to teach people is that knowledge is power. If you know this information early enough, you have a chance actually to make a change thatâ€™s meaningful to you. If you get the information too late because you waited to go to your physician, you’re in a different category.
Eye on DNA Headlines for 26 December 2007...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 17 December 2007...
DNA Video: Craig Venter Giving the Richard Dimbleby Lecture...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 3 December 2007...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 6 December 2007...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 24 January 2008...
DNA Video: Stuart Mitchell’s Symphonic Work, DNA of a Humpback Whale...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- What does DNA mean to you?
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- Biopolitical Times
- Anxiety, Addiction and Depression Treatments
- John Hawks Anthropology Weblog
- The Minnesota Gene Pool
- Alltop Science
- The Tree of Life