by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted January 3, 2008 in Eye on DNA Headlines, Jobs Involving DNA
- Guardian Unlimited’s Alok Jha compiles a list of the scientific highlights of 2007 and includes genome-wide studies and the genetically modified food.
- “We, Formosans, are all Aborigines,” proclaims Professor Francis Lai of Lowell Massachusetts in the Taipei Times. He claims that scientists have found that Hoklo and Hakka-speaking Taiwanese share 85% of their genome with Formosan Aborigines. Prof. Lai believes this debunks the myth that Taiwanese have Han Chinese ancestry. So perhaps I am more exotic than I thought!
- If you or someone you know lost family during the Holocaust, you may be interested in the DNA Shoah Project. The DNA database will be used to identify the remains of Holocaust victims, reunite siblings and close relatives separated by World War II, and conduct genetic disease research (with consent).
- Suzanne In of Bitesize Bio has a great list of alternative careers for scientists. I have personally engaged in #5 business development, #8 science copy writing, #9 medical/technical writing, #10 science journalism, and #13 teaching. That leaves me about 10 to tackle although I think I’ll leave the lawyer one to Blaine.
- I’m going to be keeping an eye on io9, a new science fiction blog that’s part of the Gawker network. Lots of stuff that way out there, just like much of DNA tech. More about io9 at Biology in Science Fiction.
Eye on DNA Headlines for 29 January 2008...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 18 January 2008...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 24 January 2008...
DNA Auction: UK DNA Double Helix Coin...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 11 April 2008...
Outrageous DNA Predictions for 2009...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 23 March 2008...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- What does DNA mean to you?
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- Genes & Drugs Blog
- The Panda’s Thumb
- Nobel Intent
- The Science Creative Quarterly
- John Hawks Anthropology Weblog
- Women’s Bioethics Blog
- Professor Olsen @Large
- Another Blasted Weblog