by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted January 16, 2008 in DNA Testing
Over the years, I’ve had many different hair styles and not a year goes by without me wondering if it would just be easier to shave it off. But I’m being facetious. Readers of Baldiness and its author, Laura Bzowy, certainly care about hair loss and its effect on all aspects of life. And so, apparently, do the folks at HairDX.
HairDX is a $149 genetic test for male pattern baldness also known as androgenic alopecia. It examines unspecified SNPs in genes on the X chromosome that code for the androgen receptor. A previous study in 2005 showed that the genetic variant which codes for excess androgen receptors lies on the X chromosome and is the major determinant of male pattern baldness. HairDX claims that the high risk genetic variants they study account for 95.1% to 98.1 of cases of early onset baldness before the age of 40.
Why take a genetic test for a condition that is not life threatening? HairDX CEO Andy Goren is trying to help you save money:
Each year, men in their twenties and thirties spend millions of dollars on pharmaceuticals, topical products, and other costly treatments trying to prevent baldness. Some of this is done by males who may not go bald in the first place.
So here’s the breakdown:
Positive HairDX – Sorry, you lose the genetic lottery.
Negative HairDX – Sorry, you could still lose your hair because of other reasons, genetic or otherwise.
In any case, I think this guy’s a lost cause.
It’s Rick Vidal from My Biotech Life! Still looking good minus a few strands of hair.
*Genetic genealogist Ann Turner has lots more information in her comment.
Chromosome 20 Involved in Male Pattern Baldness...
Latest Launches at 23andMe...
What $2500 Can Buy in DNA Services...
IVF Strategies: Cloned Sperm and Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis...
DNA Art Forms by Catherine Dapra and Paul Zawierka...
“One Package Fits All” DNA Testing...
Overweight Parents, Overweight Children...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- What does DNA mean to you?
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- Infrared Sauna Info
- The Inoculated Mind
- A Blog Around The Clock
- Philosophy of Genetics
- The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary
- Tales of CFS
- GMO Africa
- Biochemist in Exile