by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted January 24, 2008 in DNA and Disease, Eye on DNA Headlines, Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms, Personalities with DNA
- Gene Genie Issue #24 is up at Biomarker-Driven Mental Health 2.0.
- Sue Trinidad at Women’s Bioethics Blog wants to know how far genetic researchers can take your DNA beyond your initial informed consent.
- Sam Karlin of Stanford University who created BLAST with Stephen Altshul died in December of a massive heart attack.
“Because of the common descent of all living things, it is often possible to learn a lot about a new DNA sequence by finding out what is known about other sequences that are similar,” (Russ) Altman said. BLAST compares the new sequence to an enormous database of sequences. “It estimates the significance of the match between the input sequence and the ‘hits’ that are pulled out. This is where Sam’s contribution wasâ€”he worked out the statistical theory for how to judge which matches really meant something. So BLAST is basically the Google of biological research.”
- The newest (42nd) member of The DNA Network is Genetic Future by Australian researcher Daniel MacArthur. His latest post looks at the ethical challenges of whole-genome sequencing. Welcome, Daniel! We’re glad to have you.
- Four reasons why genetically modified food is inevitable. (HT: Mark Evans)
- Hypertensive patients with a copy or more of the T2238C variant of the atrial natruiretic precursor A (NPPA) gene may have a decreased risk of coronary heart disease (CHD), stroke, all-cause death, combined CHD, and combined CVD if treated with the diuretic chlorthalidone (also known as Clorpres, Tenoretic, and Thalitone). Those with the most common TT genotype appear to do better when treated with a calcium channel blocker (amlodipine aka Norvasc). (Medical News Today)
Eye on DNA Headlines for 29 January 2008...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 18 January 2008...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 3 January 2008...
DNA Auction: UK DNA Double Helix Coin...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 11 April 2008...
Outrageous DNA Predictions for 2009...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 23 March 2008...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- What does DNA mean to you?
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- Unbounded Medicine
- Biochemist in Exile
- Skinny Moose Media
- Genomics Revolution
- Mark’s Daily Apple
- Science With Me!