by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted February 4, 2008 in DNA Testing
- You have no idea what DNA is and where it is found in your body. (Although you can easily bring yourself up to speed by reading 100 Facts About DNA.)
- You are on a tight budget and your health insurance won’t cover the cost of DNA testing. (On the other hand, you could raise money publicly like Andrew Meyer at Buzzyeah.)
- You believe that ignorance is bliss.
- You think genetic test results are no better than what you’d get going to your local psychic.
- You’re not convinced that genetic discrimination can be totally banned.
- You are not at high risk of an inherited disease because you live a healthy lifestyle and do not have a positive family medical history. (Of course, there are other more fun reasons to get genetic testing, such as genetic genealogy.)
- You are not prepared to share your DNA test results with family members yet will feel guilty if your results have implications for their health or family relationships, e.g., BRCA breast cancer and ovarian cancer gene or non-paternity event.
- You are not ready to accept any results from a genetic test that do not confirm your pre-existing beliefs. For example, a person with a family history of Huntington’s disease may be shocked to find that they do not carry the HD gene mutation.
- You are not prepared to change your lifestyle even if you are found to have a mutation that increases your risk of a specific disease that involves both genes and environment, e.g., coronary heart disease and obesity.
- You are a fatalistic person and will let genetic information control your life.
What other reasons can you think of to convince someone NOT to take a DNA test?
HairDX – Genetic Test for Male Pattern Baldiness...
Singapore Company DNA Dynasty Will (Not) Tell Your Children’s Future...
HPV DNA Test for Cervical Cancer...
Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question…Or Not...
Curious Genetics and DNA Google Ads...
Dr. Robert Marion on Direct-to-Consumer Genetic Testing...
Eye on DNA Interview: Terry Carmichael, VP of Marketing & Sales at Consumer Genetics...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- What does DNA mean to you?
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- Tales of CFS
- Ideas for Women
- Autism Vox
- QUEST Science Blog
- Infrared Sauna Info
- Dr. Deborah Serani
- Sciencebase Science Blog
- The force that through…