by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted February 21, 2008 in DNA Fun
Are you worried about your precious DNA being lost in space and time once you die? If so, BeInSpace will help you send it into space for safekeeping.
BeInSpace will be collecting 1TB of digital data and DNA, putting it on a rocket and launching it out into orbit, to our solar system, far, far way.
From their FAQ:
Who knows where you will be 2 billion years from now?
Dude. I can tell everybody on this planet today where they will be 2 billion years from now. NOWHERE! We’re all going to be dead, dead, dead, and DEAD.
BeInSpace reminds me of the Alliance to Rescue Civilzation (ARC). They want to create a back-up on the moon of all recordable aspects of human civilization, including DNA samples.
The mission of the Alliance to Rescue Civilization (ARC) is to protect the human species and its civilization from destruction that could result from a global catastrophic event, including nuclear war, acts of terrorism, plague and asteroid collisions. To fulfill its mission, ARC is dedicated to creating continuously staffed facilities on the Moon and other locations away from Earth. These facilities will preserve backups of scientific and cultural achievements, and of the species important to our civilization. In the event of a global catastrophe, the ARC facilities will be prepared to reintroduce lost technology, art, history, crops, livestock and, if necessary, even human beings to the Earth.
Unlike BeInSpace, however, ARC is not publicly soliciting submissions. Whatever and whoever they decide to include will hopefully NOT be a representative sample of what we have on earth today but an improved version. On the other hand, what would I do for entertainment without Britney Spears to ogle?
Photo credit: Wellcome Images under Creative Commons.
Digitized DNA Blasting Off Into Space...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 23 March 2008...
Stephen Colbert’s DNA Headed for the International Space Station...
DNA Direct Launches DNA Archive for Home DNA Storage...
DNA Video: History of the Species...
Wellcome Image Awards: Gene Expression Analysis...
Storing and Testing Children’s DNA...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- What does DNA mean to you?
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- Philosophy of Genetics
- Enoch Choi at MedHelp
- DNA Direct Talk
- Discovering Biology in a Digital World
- The force that through…
- Flu Patrol
- Gene Sherpa
- Infrared Sauna Info
- Science With Me!