by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted March 10, 2008 in Eye on DNA Headlines
- What’s the forecast for the personal genomics market? Here are some reactions to my post expounding on deCODE’s recent layoffs:
*IEEE Spectrum Tech Talk – Gloomy genetics company casts cloud over personal genomics prospects
*Genetic Future – deCODE’s lay-offs: market saturation, or just one struggling company?
*Gene Expression – Personal Genomics Downswing
- David Bradley at Sciencebase hosted genetics blog carnival Gene Genie last week and Walter Jessen at Highlight HEALTH hosted Cancer Research Carnival #7.
- Peggy lists the winners of the 2008 L’OREAL-UNESCO For Women in Science Awards all of whom employ genetics and biochemistry in their research: Dr. Lihadh Al-Gazali, Dr. V. Narry Kim, Dr. Ada Yonath, Dr. Ana BelÃ©n Elgoyhen, and Dr. Elizabeth Blackburn.
- Looking for more science podcasts? Check out Distillations from the Chemical Heritage Foundation. It’s making chemistry interesting even for a chemistry flunkie like me!
- Genetic engineering is one of the seven new deadly sins!
Bishop Gianfranco Girotti, head of the Apostolic Penitentiary:
You offend God not only by stealing, blaspheming or coveting your neighbourâ€™s wife, but also by ruining the environment, carrying out morally debatable scientific experiments, or allowing genetic manipulations which alter DNA or compromise embryos.
I guess it’s a good thing I’m a heathen?!
Update: Don’t miss my additional list of 7 deadly sins of genetics.
Eye on DNA Headlines for 23 March 2008...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 28 March 2008...
Seven Deadly Sins of Genetics...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 11 April 2008...
Navigenics to launch in April 2008?...
deCODE Genetics Sinking Low...
Eye on DNA Headlines for 7 April 2008...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- What does DNA mean to you?
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- Adventures in Ethics and Science
- The Minnesota Gene Pool
- The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary
- HUGO Matters
- Tangled Bank
- Genes & Drugs Blog
- AIDS Combat Zone
- The Issue
- Behavioral Ecology Blog