by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted March 31, 2008 in DNA and Disease
At my 30-week prenatal visit last week, the doctor told me the baby was in a transverse position. Hopefully she’ll get her little rear in gear at my 34-week visit and be head down unless she wants to be really ornery as only about 3 percent of babies are breech at birth (buttocks or the feet down). Her older brother was in the “correct” position almost the entire time so I can tell she’s going to be a handful!
Risk factors for breech delivery include:
Low gestational age
Low birth weight
Site of placental attachment
Low volume of amniotic fluid
Breech delivery is associated with increased perinatal mortality and morbidity.
One reason I’m not worrying too much is because a large population-based study in Norway was published last week in BMJ that showed breech deliveries are more common if the baby’s parents were born breech themselves. I know I was not born breech and I’ll assume my husband wasn’t either or my mother-in-law would have mentioned it. If the mother or father was born breech, their baby has an approximately 2-fold increase in odds of being born breech as well. The authors conclude:
Intergenerational recurrence risk of breech delivery in offspring was equally high when transmitted through fathers and mothers. It seems reasonable to attribute the observed pattern of familial predisposition to term breech delivery to genetic inheritance, predominantly through the fetus.
They also recommend that parents who were born breech inform their healthcare providers so their babies can be more closely monitored if necessary.
Please cross your fingers for me!
Image: Newborn baby from Wellcome Images under Creative Commons
Eye on DNA Links – June 19, 2007...
Geeky DNA T-Shirts: Genetic Determinism...
Genetic Testing to Prevent Wrongful Life...
Is the Pink or Blue early baby gender DNA test accurate?...
Australia May Ban Gender Prediction DNA Test...
DNA Paternity Testing Myths...
My Newest Genetics Experiment...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- What does DNA mean to you?
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- OMMBID Blog
- Professor Olsen @Large
- Evolution…Not “Just a Theory” Anymore
- Genomics Revolution
- The Science Creative Quarterly
- Dream Mom
- Mark’s Daily Apple