by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted April 9, 2008 in DNA Products, DNA Testing
My mom used to equate everything with the cost of pizzas as in “this pair of shoes could get you three large pizzas!” In that vein, let’s see how much $2500 can get you in the personal genomics marketplace.
$2500 can buy you:
- One Navigenics Health Compass membership – initiation and one year subscription
- Ten years of Navigenics annual subscription fees at $250 each year after initial purchase
- Two 23andMe accounts at $999 USD each with $502 to spare
- Two deCODEme accounts at $985 USD each with $530 to spare
- Twelve General Interest Panels of genetic tests from DNA Traits at $199 each with $112 to spare
- Seven alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency genetic tests at DNA Direct at $330 each with $190 to spare
- 0.71% of a $350,000 whole genome sequence from Knome
- Two Gene Essence genetic tests from BioMarker Pharmaceuticals at $1195 each with $110 to spare
- Two 1-working day express service DNA paternity tests from DNA Diagnostics Center at $995 each with $510 to spare
- Sixteen HairDX genetic tests at $149 each with $116 to spare
- Eight Suracell “DNA Based Age Management” DNA tests (via Bitar Cosmetic Surgery Institute) at $300 each with $100 to spare
- Twelve Advanced Paternal Lineage Test (Y-chromosome 46) from DNA.Ancestry.com at $199 each with $112 to spare
- Four DNA11 DNA art portraits at $525 each with $400 to spare.
Of course, looking at price alone isn’t a fair comparison since each company above provides vastly different services and genetic information to their customers from genetic genealogy to art to single disease testing to whole genome sequencing. Cost is a factor, however, in most consumers’ purchasing decisions so it’s interesting to see how prices stack up.
What would you do with $2500?
How To Make Money Selling Personal Genomic Services...
Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service...
DNA Video: Putting the Genes in Genealogy with Dick Eastman...
DNA Video: DNA and Your Roots by Gina Paige...
DNA Video: Dr. J Craig Venter at WSJ Health Blog...
DNA Video: Jon Entine of Abraham’s Children...
DNA Video: DNA Testing with Chris Haley...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- What does DNA mean to you?
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast
- Flags and Lollipops
- Adult ADD Strengths
- Eating Fabulous
- The Tree of Life
- Enoch Choi at MedHelp
- Unbounded Medicine