by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted April 24, 2008 in DNA Testing
The American College of Medical Genetics (ACMG) has just released their “5 minimum requirements for any genetic testing protocol.”
- A knowledgeable health professional should be involved in the process of ordering and interpreting a genetic test.
- The consumer should be fully informed regarding what the test can and cannot say about his or her health.
- The scientific evidence on which a test is based should be clearly stated.
- The clinical testing laboratory must be accredited by CLIA, the State and/or other applicable accrediting agencies.
- Privacy concerns must be addressed.
Michael S. Watson, PhD, FACMG, executive director of the American College of Medical Genetics:
Geneticists and genetic counselors are the “professional guides to the human genome” and can help patients make informed decisions about choices related to genetic testing and provide invaluable support and guidance in interpreting test results in light of personal and family history. This is not an area where people should really “go it alone.”
Click here for the full ACMG policy statement (pdf).
In May, ACMG will be broadcasting a medical genetics radio program in a SkyRadio Network show – 21st Century Health Forum. It will air on audio-equipped flights of American Airlines and Northwest Airlines. Let me know if you catch it!
American Society of Human Genetics (ASHG) Statement on Direct-to-Consumer Genetic Testing...
Direct-To-Consumer Genetic Tests – Good or Evil?...
Let’s Talk About Direct-To-Consumer Genetic Testing...
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD): A Discussion...
How Many Ways Can A Physician Be Sued (Over Genetic Tests)?...
Dr. Robert Marion on Direct-to-Consumer Genetic Testing...
Intermediary Genetic Testing Companies Face Less Regulation...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- What does DNA mean to you?
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- Genome Boy
- Philosophy of Genetics
- Let’s Get Personal
- The Inoculated Mind
- Effect Measure
- Baby Biotechs
- Flags and Lollipops
- Biotech Blog
- Pharma Gazette
- The force that through…