by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted August 17, 2009 in Books About DNA
Before it was possible to study the genetics of complex diseases on a genome-wide scale, most talk of genetic diseases looked at those caused by single gene mutations or chromosomal abnormalities. Taking a step back to what might appear to be simpler times, medical geneticist Dr. Robert Marion’s new book, Genetic Rounds, is due out in October.
But even if the genetic basis of diseases such as mucopolysaccharidoses, trisomy 13, acute intermittent porphyria, and spinal muscular atrophy might have been easier to elucidate, that doesn’t mean diagnosing or treating the patients is any easier. In Genetic Rounds, Dr. Marion explains the causes and symptoms of various genetic diseases in clear, easy-to-understand language (as is his forte – see Was George Washington Really the Father of Our Country?: A Clinical Geneticist Looks at World History).
As has been the case for its entire history, most of the practice of medical genetics comes down to the clinician sitting in the clinic with the family, listening to the history, performing the physical exam, and trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together.
Even more enlightening, Dr. Marion reflects on his encounters with the children affected by these devastating illnesses and their families who must cope with the stress involved in taking care of them. I was especially touched by his holistic and empathetic approach as a physician. Any of us who’ve been fortunate enough to have had a doctor who cared about us beyond our acute symptoms and the few minutes in their clinic knows what a rare gift that is.
Many of the essays included in the book were previously published in Discover magazine and The American Journal of Medical Genetics among others. Dr. Marion updates a number of them with news on how the patient and family are doing as well as how his views and feelings changed over the years. Although a couple of essays seem a little out of place in a book about genetic diseases, I still found them all very enjoyable. Genetic Rounds is a must-read for anyone with a connection to genetics and would be an intriguing read for anyone with a passing interest as well.
This week, I will be posting a multi-part interview with Dr. Robert Marion. He is as nice via email as he seems in the book. If you’ve ever had a chance to meet him, please share your story in the comments!
Dr. Robert Marion on Physician Knowledge of Genetics...
Dr. Robert Marion on Complex Genetic Diseases...
Dr. Robert Marion on Direct-to-Consumer Genetic Testing...
Medical Geneticist Dr. Robert Marion on Writing...
Dr. Robert Marion on Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis...
Eye on DNA Hosting Grand Rounds...
Eye on DNA Links – May 29, 2007...
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Search Eye on DNA
- Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America
- DNA Network Tweet Cloud
- Genetics = Real Science
- Larry David’s DNA Test
- Lopez Tonight First Late-Night Show to Offer DNA Testing
- American Genes Don’t Exist
- Knowledge about Genetic Risk is Power or is it Fear?
- Murderer Gets Reduced Sentence Because His Genes Made Him Do It
- Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget
- DNA Toys: Ben 10 and Digimon Digivice
- 100 Facts About DNA
- Salaries for Jobs in Genetics
- Fetal Gender DNA Tests Answer Common Pregnancy Question...Or Not
- How To Determine Paternity Without A DNA Test
- What does DNA mean to you?
- Eye on DNA Interview: Dr. Tzung-Fu Hsieh of RedTracer DNA Test for the Red Hair Gene, MC1R
- Books About DNA: The Crime of Reason by Robert B. Laughlin
- Genetically Modified Organisms Bring in the Cash
- Navigenics Introduces Physician Portal and Annual Insight Service
- People Who’ve Had Their Genomes Sequenced
09/29/2009 07:03 am
- Larry David’s DNA Test
11/17/2009 02:52 am
- 23andMe DNA Tests for $399, Down From $999
09/10/2008 04:33 am
- Crazy Genetic Marketing Ideas
07/05/2008 09:14 pm
- Parenting Children Using Genetic Tests
05/18/2009 02:09 am
- Business of DNA
- DNA @ Google Answers
- DNA and Disease
- DNA and Genealogy
- DNA and the Law
- DNA Around the World
- DNA Fun
- DNA in General
- DNA Inventions and Gadgets
- DNA Lab Talk
- DNA Podcasts and Videos
- DNA Quotes and Excerpts
- DNA Testing
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetically Modified Foods and Organisms
- Jobs Involving DNA
- Personalities with DNA
- Polls About DNA
- January 2010
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- Professor Olsen @Large
- Scared to Health
- OMMBID Blog
- Discovering Biology in a Digital World
- Genomics Policy
- DNA Direct Talk
- Evolution Minute