DNA Podcasts and Videos

Genetic Genealogy on Faces of America

by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted January 16, 2010 in DNA Podcasts and Videos, DNA and Genealogy, Personalities with DNA

Quite a line-up of celebrities!

Eva Longoria, Meryl Streep, Mario Batali, Stephen Colbert, Malcolm Gladwell, Yo-Yo Ma, Mike Nichols, Kristi Yamaguchi, Elizabeth Alexander, Queen Noor and Louise Erdrich have all submitted DNA tests for a new PBS television series FACES OF AMERICA.

 

Faces of America with Henry Louis Gates, Jr. airs on Wednesdays, February 10 – March 3, 2010 from 8-9 p.m. ET on PBS.

(>> Start a discussion!)


goldfade-divider-custom.gif

Larry David’s DNA Test

by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted November 13, 2009 in DNA Fun, DNA Podcasts and Videos

Larry David found out last night on Lopez Tonight that he “fails as a European” being only 63% European according to a DNA ancestry test. David seemed genuinely surprised by the remaining 37% of his ethnicity. Watch the video to find out more about the 37% or click on this link from Twitter.

(1 comment)


goldfade-divider-custom.gif

Video: Knome’s Ari Kiirikki Speaks with Medgadget

by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted October 30, 2009 in DNA Podcasts and Videos

via Medgadget

(>> Start a discussion!)


goldfade-divider-custom.gif

Q&A with Anne Wojcicki of 23andMe

by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted August 2, 2009 in DNA Podcasts and Videos, Personalities with DNA

The New York Times Freakonomics blog is hosting a Q&A with 23andMe founder, Anne Wojcicki. You can post your questions in the comments section. Answers will be available on the Freakonomics blog in about a week.

Bring Your Questions for Genetics Entrepreneur Anne Wojcicki

Here’s a recent video of Wojcicki and Linda Avey talking about 23andMe’s new initiative, Research Revolution.

(1 comment)


goldfade-divider-custom.gif

Personal Genome Project Documentary Film

by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted August 2, 2009 in DNA Podcasts and Videos, Personalities with DNA

See the PGP-10 in action! Necessary Films has released webisodes of their upcoming documentary, Genome: The Future is Now, featuring the first 10 volunteers of the Personal Genome Project, including founder George Church, Misha Angrist, Esther Dyson, and Keith Batchelder (interview here at Eye on DNA).

From Necessary Films:

In the summer of 2008 ours were the only cameras permitted into the genomic consultations of each of the PGP-10 during which they began to understand the health implications of their genomes. 

I can’t wait to see more!

(>> Start a discussion!)


goldfade-divider-custom.gif

Regulatin’ Genes Video

by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted March 18, 2009 in DNA Fun, DNA Podcasts and Videos

With a cameo from my favorite Stanford professor, Robert Siegel.

(>> Start a discussion!)


goldfade-divider-custom.gif

Stephen Colbert’s DNA Headed for the International Space Station

by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted September 10, 2008 in DNA Podcasts and Videos, Personalities with DNA

Along with the DNA of other bright minds, musicians, and athletes, clever funnyman Stephen Colbert’s digitized DNA will also be included in Operation Immortality’s digital time capsule that’s being delivered to the International Space Station next month. See video above for his DNA sign-off from February 2006.

via 60-Second Science

(2 comments)


goldfade-divider-custom.gif

DNA Video: DNA Replication by The Backrow

by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted June 14, 2008 in DNA Podcasts and Videos

I’d say these guys earned their 30 extra credit points in science….

(1 comment)


goldfade-divider-custom.gif

DNA Video: Illumina on Wallstrip

by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted June 7, 2008 in DNA Podcasts and Videos, DNA Products

Interesting little summary on the history of Illumina.

They look through your DNA and discover your genetic code.

via business|bytes|genes|molecules

(>> Start a discussion!)


goldfade-divider-custom.gif

DNA Video: History of the Species

by Dr. Hsien-Hsien Lei
Posted May 31, 2008 in DNA Podcasts and Videos, DNA in General

Work by the MRG at Goldsmiths.
Including: William Latham, Stephen Todd, Frederic Fol Leymarie, Miki Shaw, Ben Jefferys, Lawrence Kelley.

At the core of this work is the idea of feeding DNA data sequences into a rich 3D form generator called FormGrow, to generate organic-looking 3D growth structures, creating an equivalence of the DNA mapped into an alternative multi-dimensional space.

via Kevin Kelly

(>> Start a discussion!)


goldfade-divider-custom.gif

« Previous

Search Eye on DNA


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


ARCHIVE


RANDOMIZED BLOGROLL


We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health
information:
verify here.
Eye on DNA is not a substitute for medical advice. Always ask your healthcare provider or genetic counselor for information specific to you.

Mendel's Garden

Healthcare 100 - eDrugSearch.com



View Hsien-Hsien Lei, PhD's profile on LinkedIn

Bloggers' Rights at EFF